Mobile County Metro Jail at a Glance
The Mobile County Sheriff’s Office is responsible for the Mobile County Metro Jail. This facility houses an average of 1,500 inmates per day and is the detention facility not only for the county but for the city of Mobile as well.
Metro Jail includes a main jail facility plus a minimum security barracks, which provides inmate labor to parks, facilities and events across the county. This labor source saves taxpayers more than $1.5 million each year.
The jail provides a comprehensive range of necessary services to inmates, from food and medical services to education and rehabilitative programming.
TO SEND/RECEIVE MAIL
- All written incoming non-privileged inmate mail must be on a metered postcard
NO POSTAGE STAMPS
- A metered postcard is defined as rectangular and no larger than “4X6” in
- Mail received after the inmate is released from the Mobile County Metro
Jail will be stamped “Return to Sender, No longer here” and will be
- Mail which has been opened and inspected prior to release of the inmate
will be held for three (3) working days after the inmate(s) release from the Mobile
County Metro Jail. If the mail is not picked up within the three (3) working days
from the Money Clerk’s Office, it will be discarded on the next working day.
- The Mobile County Metro Jail is not obligated nor required to pay
“Postage Due” on any incoming mail. Mail asking of this request will be
rejected or declined.
- Incoming mail must have a return address which includes a full name,
street address, city, state, and zip code.
- Incoming mail must be addressed to the inmate using full name and
date of birth; if known. Inmates Incoming Mail must be addressed as
|John M. Doe
145777 Bayou Blvd.
Mobile, Al 36609
Inmate Name (no nicknames); DOB: 01/01/90
Mobile County Metro Jail
P.O. Box 104
Mobile, Alabama 36601
- Mail not addressed as described above will be returned to sender.
- Incoming mail must clearly be marked with the senders name and return
- address or it will not be delivered to the addressee.
- Contraband received through the mail, if not a criminal offense, will be
held for ten (10) calendar days.
- The inmate will be notified via written notification of any contraband, not a
criminal offense, violating the Mobile County Metro Jail’s Mail
correspondence Policy. The written notification from the Metro Jail’s
Room will instruct the inmate(s) to provide a metered stamped envelope
Within ten (10) days and the materials will be returned to the sender.
After ten (10) days, it will be discarded or donated to the jail chaplaincy
- All mail will be searched at an undisclosed location before being passed
out to the inmates.
- All mail that is not clearly identified as “legal mail” will be opened and
inspected before delivered to the inmate. Padded envelopes will not be
METRO JAIL/METRO BARRACKS
ALL VISITATION IS BY APPOINTMENT ONLY AND SHOULD BE MADE ONE WEEK IN ADVANCE. Visitation times are 8:00 to 11:00 and 2:00 to 5:00. Call Visitation line, 251-574-4734, to find the correct days to visit.
NO CELL PHONES, PURSES OR BAGS ARE ALLOWED DURING VISITATION, please secure these items prior to arriving for your visit. WE ARE NOT responsible for any items left in lobby while visiting your loved one.
PROHIBITED CLOTHING FOR VISITATION:
- Halter/Tank/Low cut tops
- Short Shorts
- See through clothing
- mini or high split skirts
- Tight clothing
- Any Other item deemed inappropriate by Visitation Officer
VISITS MAY BE DENIED OR SUSPENDED AS FOLLOWS:
- Emergency Situation
- Under the Influence of Drugs and/or Alcohol
- Disorderly Conduct
- Refusing to submit to a pat search
- INTRODUCING OR ATTEMPTING TO INTRODUCE CONTRABAND INTO THE JAIL
- Person awaiting trial in ANY JURISDICTION.
- Furlough or Pass from ANY CORRECTIONAL INSTITUTION.
- Released from JAIL or PRISON within the PAST SIX MONTHS
All Medical is contracted through NaphCare, www.naphcare.com. IF YOU NEED TO SPEAK WITH SOMEONE CONCERNING MEDICAL INFORMATION ABOUT AN INMATE CALL 574-3368 . Leave a message stating inmate name and your contact information and your message will be returned as soon as possible.
Click here for the Inmate Handbook.
MONEY ORDER LIMIT IS $50.00
INFORMATION TO DEPOSIT MONEY ON INMATE ACCOUNTS