Currently, we have job openings for CORRECTIONS OFFICER. Please read through our job description and then go to this link to fill out your JOB INTEREST CARD. Make sure to select Public Safety on your card. Once you have completed your JOB INTEREST CARD, you will be notified via email, that the job is open and then you may create an account. Thank you for your interest with TEAM SHERIFF and we look forward to meeting you!
TYPE OF WORK
This is Public Safety work that involves providing for the care and security of inmates confined within a correctional facility or jail.
EXAMPLES OF WORK
- Process inmates into jail facility to include fingerprinting and maintaining accurate records
- Escorts inmates to and from different destinations within the Jail
- Transports inmates to various appointments outside the Jail including court
- Checks the placement of inmates and their condition when necessary
- Supervises feeding and cleaning activities
- Escorts legal authorities to and from jail to speak with clients
- Data entry of reports on inmates
- Periodic counts of inmates and periodic checks of all jail areas to avoid contact of outsiders with inmates and to prevent escape attempts
- Explains and instructs inmates regarding rules and regulations of facility
- Communicates with family members, attorneys and other visitors to facility
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS THAT ARE REQUIRED
Graduation from a standard senior high school, or the successful completion of the General Educational Development (GED) test, and preferably some police or corrections related experience or training; or a combination of education and experience equivalent to these requirements.
ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS OF THE WORK
- Some knowledge of corrections objectives and procedures and of Federal and State
Law Enforcement Agencies and their operation or ability to acquire this knowledge
- Some knowledge of Police methods, practices and procedures as they apply to the
Protection of inmates who are institutionalized or the ability to acquire this knowledge
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions
- Ability to maintain discipline of inmates under institutional conditions
- Ability to make routine reports
- Ability to learn and teach rules and regulations of the corrections facility
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the public
Must be at least 19 years of age and must possess a valid driver’s license from state of residence. Mobile County Sheriff’s Office requires successful completion of a physical agility test administered by the Sheriff’s Office.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE WORK
An employee in this class is responsible for receiving, processing, transporting and guarding inmates and includes the sanitary and general building maintenance of the facility or jail and the surrounding grounds. Work is performed within established policies, procedures and regulations under the general supervision of a Corrections Sergeant or other superior. An employee in this class may work either a rotating or permanent shift and may be required to work in excess of ten hours overtime per month. The potential for physical injury is a significant work hazard for employees in this class.
- 10 days annual vacation with accumulation to 35 days (the number of days earned
Increases based on years in the merit system, with a maximum of 25 days per year
For 25 or more years of service)
- 10 days paid annual sick leave with no limit on accumulation
- 12 paid holidays each year (some jurisdictions may vary)
- Group medical plan (most jurisdictions)
- Paid life insurance (in some jurisdictions)
- Retirement plans
- Employee Credit Union
- Promotion by competitive exam
- Periodic review and adjustment of salary rates to be competitive with local employees and to provide cost of living increases
- Opportunities for continuing education and self-development through formalized academic and in-service training programs
If you interested in JOINING OUR TEAM, go to http://agency.governmentjobs.com//mobilecounty/default.cfm?action=openjobrequest. Select PUBLIC SAFETY and you will be notified when the job becomes open.