Meth production has been one of the most serious drug crimes facing Mobile County. As meth production grew from a background problem to a front-line crisis in our communities, the Mobile County Sheriff’s Office worked to procure a C.O.P.S. grant in order to fight back. In 2008 MCSO began our METH TEXT program. This program was developed to fight meth production through education, enforcement and pharmacy compliance. METH TEXT was one of the nation’s “first” text-message-based reporting program of its kind. Listed below are the foundations of the program.
- Interactive text scripting allowed citizens to quickly report meth
- E-mail alerts and databases allow law enforcement to immediately act on tips
- Advertising and marketing materials were distributed throughout the county to educate the public
- innovative placement intercepts meth activity at precursor point-of-purchase (drug stores)
- Computerized pharmacy system tracked the purchases of pseudoephedrine
Beginning January 1, 2016, METH TEXT, 839863 WILL NO LONGER EXIST. ALL reporting of METH will be reported to http://www.mobileso.com/report-a-crime/. You can report on our website or you can download our new APP, MOBILE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE, available in google play or apple